Match Report

Super 8s
Friday 11th August 2017, 20:00
Super 8s - Round: 2
Super 8s
Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors

(10) 18


Huddersfield Giants

(4) 4

Huddersfield Giants

3 Trys

Anthony Gelling, Liam Farrell, Sam Tomkins,



Jermaine McGillvary,

3 Goals

Sam Powell 2, Sam Tomkins,


Goals 0




D Goals 0


Attendance: 10,619  Official: P Bentham  Venue: DW Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try goal goal try goal

Full Time Report

Betfred Super League XX11  Super 8s  Round 2


Michael Lawrence returned to the Giants side for the first time since February after his long injury absence for the visit to the DW Stadium Wigan for Round 2 of the Super 8s on a very wet evening but Sam Rapira’s rib injury kept him out of the side and Dale Ferguson and Ollie Roberts were also injury victims as was Leroy Cudjoe.

Both sides started strongly but errors abounded in the conditions. The first item of real note was a 35 metre run by Darnell McIntosh on 8 minutes which set up field position for the first score of the evening, the ball being then circulated to the right where Danny Brough’s astute kick put Jermaine McGillvary over for a well worked try, Danny Brough’s conversion attempt going wide. The Warriors levelled 7 minutes later after a Giants handling error in their 20, Anthony Gelling powering through the defence for the try on the right, George Williams missing the conversion. The momentum was now with the Warriors and the Giants were making life difficult for themselves by incurring a succession of penalties which meant that the bulk of the play was inside the Giants half. The defence though was superb but it was breached some 3 minutes before half time when pressure in the Giants 20 led to a George Williams grubber to the ingoal area and a touchdown for Liam Farrell by the posts and a conversion for Sam Powell. Lee Gaskell’s break and kick forced a goal line drop out as the hooter for half time sounded so the Giants went in 6 points down and left to reflect on the concession of 7 first half penalties which had proved very costly.

The Giants began the second half on the attack but quickly the errors and ill discipline of the first half began to surface again and the first score of the half came on 52 minutes with a Sam Powell penalty goal. Wigan’s goal line defence was tested on several occasions as the Giants strove to get on the scoresheet, but the Giants could not prise it open and the only score of an untidy period came almost at the end of the match when a loose ball on halfway was hacked forward over the Giants goal line and Sam Tomkins won the race to touchdown, the conversion also being successful to give a final margin of 14 points which did not reflect the closeness of the contest.

The Giants had tried very hard throughout but the concession of too many penalties and a lack of composure when in good attacking positions had proved decisive. Another stiff test awaits next week at the KCOM Stadium Hull on Friday 18 August kick off 8.00pm.

Teams: Wigan Warriors: Sam Tomkins; Davies, Gelling, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Leuluai; Nuuausala, McIlorum, Sutton, Bateman, Farrell, O’Loughlin

Interchanges: Isa, Clubb, Powell, Tautai

Giants: Rankin; McGillvary, Mellor, Turner, McIntosh; Gaskell, Brough; Ikahihifo, Leeming, Wakeman, Ta’ai, Clough, Hinchcliffe

Interchanges: O’Brien, Lawrence, Smith, Dickinson

Referee: P Bentham


Half time score: Wigan Warriors 10 Giants 4

Full time score:  Wigan Warriors 18 Giants 4


Scorers: Wigan Warriors: Tries: Gelling, Farrell, Tomkins

Goals:  Powell (2), Tomkins

Giants: Try: McGillvary

Giants Man of the Match: Paul Clough

Penalties conceded: Wigan Warriors 6 Giants 13

Goal line drop outs conceded: Wigan Warriors 2 Giants 1

Weather: Wet; fine drizzle throughout

Temperature: 18C

Attendance: 10619






Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by