Match Report

Super League
Sunday 17th July 2016, 15:00
Super League - Round: 22
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(12) 18


St Helens

(22) 34

St Helens

3 Trys

Danny Brough, Tom Symonds, Jermaine McGillvary,



Joe Greenwood, Jack Owens, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Jordan Turner, Adam Swift, Alex Walmsley,

3 Goals

Danny Brough 3,


Goals 5

Mark Percival 5,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,526  Official: J Cobb  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal
try goal try try goal try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

First Utility Super League XX1  Round 22

New Giants first team coach Rick Stone took charge of his first match at the John Smith’s Stadium with the visit of St Helens on a warm sunny afternoon, Craig Huby and Sebastine Ikahihifo returned to the Giants side after lengthy injury absences but a shoulder knock ruled out Jamie Ellis, Kruise Leeming coming in.

The Giants got off to a bad start with Jake Connor’s kick going out on the full and from the resulting penalty Joe Greenwood touched down Luke Walsh’s grubber kick to the ingoal area by the posts, Mark Percival adding the extras. The Giants were not long in replying; on 11 minutes after Craig Huby had powered to the posts Danny Brough scorched over for a try , his conversion levelling the scores. Six minutes later new signing Gene Ormsby failed to deal with a long Jordan Turner kick in the ingoal area, conceding a goal line drop out, and from the resulting play a long Jonny Lomax pass put Jack Owens over in the corner, Mark Percival missing the conversion. Almost immediately afterwards the Giants had their supporters on their feet applauding a quality try started with Craig Huby’s pass which put Ryan Hinchcliffe away down the centre and superb passing and support play down the right with Danny Brough and Jermaine McGillvary involved saw Tom Symonds touch down. Danny Brough’s conversion gave the Giants a 2 point lead but errors in possession by the Giants proved costly as the Giants conceded 2 tries before half time, McCarthy-Scarsbrook on 27 minutes and Jordan Turner on 38 minutes crossing as the Saints ruthlessly punished the mistakes. Both tries were converted by Mark Percival and the Saints went in at the break with a 10 point advantage.

The Giants had matched the Saints during an exciting open first half but needed to cut out the errors in the second half to give them a chance of getting back in the game.

Two early Giants errors at the beginning of the second half did not bode well but good Giants defence repelled the Saints and when the Giants managed to control the ball Jake Connor’s long pass put Jermaine McGillvary over in the right corner, Danny Brough adding the touchline conversion. The deficit was now only 4 points, but again the Saints responded with Adam Swift gathering a Danny Brough kick to the right corner and racing some 90 metres for a try between the posts, Mark Percival adding the extras. The Giants had become their own worst enemies with a series of errors and lack of composure particularly in the Saints 20 adding to their problems. A possible score for Tom Symonds was ruled out by a forward pass and then a 70 metre break by Jonny Lomax set up the position for Alex Walmsley to crash over, Mark Percival again adding the extras. The Giants tried their utmost to get back in the game, Michael Lawrence being held up over the line, and then Ukuma Ta’ai knocked on when well placed. A score on the right was the denied by the referee ruling a knock on and the Giants were left to ponder what might have been.

The Giants will need to eliminate the errors next week-end when they travel to Warrington for the last match of the regular season, Saturday 23 July, kick off 2.00pm.


Giants: Connor, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Murphy, Ormsby, Brough, Brierley, Huby, Hinchcliffe, Rapira, Symonds, Lawrence, Ta’ai

Interchanges: Crabtree, Leeming, Roberts, Ikahihifo

Tries: Brough, Symonds, McGillvary

Goals: Brough (3)


Saints: Lomax, Owens, Fleming, Percival, Swift, Turner, Walsh, Walmsley, Roby, Richards, Greenwood, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Wilkin

Interchanges: Amor, Vea, Thompson, Knowles

Tries: Greenwood, Owens, McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Swift, Walmsley, Turner

Goals: Percival (5)


Referee: J Cobb


Half time score: Giants 12 St Helens 22

Full time score: Giants 18 St Helens 34


Penalties conceded: Giants 6 St Helens 8


Goal line drop outs conceded: Giants 2 St Helens nil


Weather: Sunny

Temperature: 19C


Attendance: 5526


report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by