Match Report

Super League
Thursday 16th February 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 11
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(4) 20


Salford Red Devils

(10) 30

Salford Red Devils

4 Trys

Jermaine McGillvary, Alex Mellor 2, Ukuma Ta'ai,



Junior Sa'u, Gareth O'Brien 2, Josh Jones,

2 Goals

Danny Brough 2,


Goals 7

Gareth O'Brien 7,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 6,017  Official: J Child  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try goal try try goal
goal try goal goal try goal try goal try goal goal

Full Time Report

Referee: J Child


Half time score: Giants 4 Salford Red Devils 10

Full time score: Giants 20 Salford Red Devils 30


Scorers: Giants: Tries: McGillvary, Mellor (2), Ta’ai

                          Goals: Brough (2)

             Salford Red Devils: Tries: Sa’u, O’Brien (2), Jones

                                             Goals: O’Brien (7)


Giants Man of the Match: Ukuma Ta’ai


Penalties conceded: Giants 6 Salford Red Devils 8

Goal line drop outs conceded: Giants 2 Salford Red Devils 1


Weather: Dry

Temperature: 8C


Attendance : 6017


For their first home match of the new Super League season the Giants made 1 change from the team which had won at Widnes the previous week-end, Sam Rapira replacing the injured Tom Symonds.

Early consecutive penalties gave the Giants field position which they could not convert into points as resolute defence kept them out and it was in fact the visitors who  scored first, a Gareth O’Brien penalty goal on 8 minutes giving his side the lead. Within 3 minutes though the Giants went in front. A Danny Brough grubber to the ingoal area forced a goal line drop out and from the resulting play Danny Brough cleverly switched the point of attack from left to right, Ryan Hinchcliffe’s floated cut out pass putting Jermaine McGillvary over in the right corner, Danny Brough’s conversion attempt going wide. 4 minutes later the lead was back with the Red Devils, Junior Sa’u taking advantage of defensive frailties to power over on the left, Gareth O’Brien adding the extras. A Ryan Brierley break could have led to another Giants score but the ball went to ground and far too many Giants attacks were falling down through errors when well placed. Michael Dobson’s kicking game was also troubling the Giants but no further scores came until the last kick of the when a Gareth O’Brien penalty goal stretched the haf time lead to 6 points in the visitors favour.

It had been an error ridden first 40 minutes by the Giants  more composure being sought for the second period.

An early Michael Dobson 40/20  set up immediate field position for the Red Devils on theresumption and with the Giants defence in some disarray Gareth O’Brien took full advantage to go over by the posts, the try scorer also adding the extras. The Giants needed a quick response and it came with tries on the left in 3 minutes for Alex Mellor, the first of which was converted by Danny Brough. The Giants were now only 2 points in arrears and looking as if they could swing the game their way but again lack of composure was letting them down. A Kruise Leeming break looke promising but good defence held them out and then when they were pressing inside the 20 an interception thwarted them. Indeed it was the visitors who scored next , Gareth O’Brien going in for his second try of the evening and adding the extras. A defining pointb of the half then came when Ryan Hinchcliffe’s break looked to lead to a Giants score but the ball was passed to a defender and although the Giants hit back on 69 minutes  with a try from the hard working Ukuma Ta’ai goaled by Danny Brough, the last 10 minutes belonged to the Red Devils. Josh Jones ploughed through 6 Giants defenders to score by the posts, Gareth O’Brien adding the extras and also kicking a late penalty goal.

The Giants had to a large extent been the architects of their own misfortune with a succession of handling errors and selection of wrong options. The chances had been there which hopefully will be sorted next time out, Friday next 24 February at the John Smith’s Stadium kick off 8.00pm.


report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by