Match Report

Super League
Friday 24th February 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 2
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(8) 24


Wakefield Trinity

(16) 16

Wakefield Trinity

5 Trys

Sam Wood 2, Ukuma Ta'ai, Ollie Roberts, Jermaine McGillvary,



Liam Finn, Ben Jones-Bishop 2,

2 Goals

Danny Brough 2,


Goals 2

Sam Williams 2,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: C Kendall  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try try goal try try goal
try try goal goal try

Full Time Report

Referee: Chris Kendall


Half time score: Giants 8 Wakefield Trinity 16

Full time score: Giants 24 Wakefield Trinity 16


Scorers: Giants: Tries: Wood (2), Roberts, Ta’ai, McGillvary

                          Goals: Brough (2)

            Wakefield Trinity: Tries: Finn, Jones-Bishop (2)

                                          Goals: Williams (2)


Giants Man of the Match: Kruise Leeming


Penalties conceded: Giants 9 Wakefield Trinity 8

Goal line dropouts conceded: Giants 3 Wakefield Trinity 1


Weather: Dry, cold

Temperature: 4C


Attendance: 6337



Sam Wood replaced the injured Leroy Cudjoe in the Giants side for the visit of Wakefield Trinity to the John Smith’s Stadium on a cold evening but the wind and rain from the previous day’s Storm Doris had abated. Ryan Hinchcliffe moved from hooker to loose forward with Michael Lawrence also being an injury victim.

The Giants made the early running and quickly established an 8 point lead, Sam Wood touching down on 8 and 11 minutes in the right corner, the first coming from a short Danny Brough pass and the second from a Kruise Leeming pass both from short range exposing gaps in the Trinity defensive line.

Neither try was converted and on 15 minutes Trinity hit back with Liam Finn going over from short range in an almost replica try to the Giants efforts at the other end. Williams missed the conversion but the score seemed to spark Trinity into life and momentum became firmly with the visitors.

On 27 minutes with the Giants pressing in the Trinity 20 the ball was lost and quick passing to the right finished in the hands of Ben Jones-Bishop who raced away on a thrilling mazy 80 metre run to the line for an outstanding try Sam Williams adding the extras.

A Sam Williams penalty goal on 36 minutes extended the lead and before the half time hooter Ben Jones-Bishop had crossed for his second try of the match with Sam Williams being unable to add the extras.

After the first 10 minutes the half had belonged to Trinity and they fully deserved their 8 point lead. The Giants had made too many errors and conceded too many penalties and needed to regain their composure for the second half.

The half in fact began scrappily with neither side being able to mount any coherent attacks, a Danny Brough grubber which forced a goal line drop out being the nearest to prise open the defence.

The Giants though were the more dominant side and suddenly in a 6 minute spell from the 62nd minute the game swung their way with 3 tries in that period. First Ukuma Ta’ai powered over in the right corner after a quick passing move following a penalty, Danny Brough adding the extras and 3 minutes later Danny Brough’s short pass enabled Oliver Robertsto go over, the goal kick this time failing. The lead though was now back with the  Giants, albeit by only 2 points, but that soon stretched to 8 points with the best Giants try of the evening. Danny Brough picked up possession in his own half in left midfield and shot away on a scintillating run through the defence then kicking across field to the right where Jermaine McGillvary gathered and raced away to touch down in the right corner for a try which brought Giants supporters to their feet in applause.

Danny Brough added the touchline conversion which was a milestone for him as he became the 10th highest points scorer in Rugby League history having amassed 3440 career points.

This game however was by no means over as Trinity mounted a series of attacks in the last 10 minutes forcing 3 goal line drop outs and being held up over the line on 2 occasions. They could not though breach a sound Giants defence and the Giants ended the game in the Trinity half with Sam Wood going close.

The second half had belonged to the Giants with a much improved display from the first period and they thoroughly their victory. More of the same will be required next Thursday 2 March 2017 at the John Smith’s Stadium when Hull FC will be the visitors kick off 8.00pm.


report report report report



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by