Match Report

Super League
Sunday 21st May 2017, 13:00
Super League - Round: 14
Super League
Catalans Dragons

Catalans Dragons

(6) 10


Huddersfield Giants

(6) 18

Huddersfield Giants

2 Trys

Richie Myler, Iain Thornley,



Lee Gaskell, Sam Rapira, Adam O'Brien,

1 Goals

Luke Walsh,


Goals 3

Martyn Ridyard 3,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: C Campbell  Venue: St James' Park, Newcastle

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal
try goal try

Full Time Report

Martyn Ridyard made his Giants debut as the Claret and Gold faced Catalans Dragons in the Dacia Magic Weekend at St. James’ Park.

The Dragons were first on the scoresheet, Bousquet’s fourth minute break from halfway was carried on by Richie Myler with a neat interchange of passes ending with the half back touching down, Walsh adding the extras. The video referee ruled out a further score for offside after a high kick had caused problems for the Giants defence. However, the Giants were quickly back in the game after Lee Gaskell touched down on the left wing after neatly through the Dragons defence. A Luke Walsh 40/20 gave the Dragons an opportunity but good Giants defence held them out before Inu made a break from deep, but again the danger was thwarted. Errors from both sides led to the game becoming disjointed and lacking in fluency. A Walsh break ended with a good Jake Mamo tackle and there was no further score until the 39th minute when a high tackle on Alex Mellor enabled Martyn Ridyard to land a penalty goal to level the scores at 6-6 going to the interval.

Ball possession and field position had been about equal in a scrappy first half with defences being the order of the day. But 5 minutes into the second half a rare lapse in defence by the Giants enabled Thornley to touch down wide out on the left, Walsh missing the conversion. The Giants hit back strongly with kicks from Ridyard and Gaskell causing problems before a searing break from Jermaine McGillvary almost brought a score, however Jake Mamo’s kick rolled into touch near the corner flag. The Giants were beginning to look dangerous with another attacking Mamo kick forcing a goal line drop out. Ryan Hinchcliffe and Jermaine McGillvary went close for the Giants but were unable to find a way through a strong Dragons defence. Aaron Murphy then made a brilliant tackle to prevent Catalans scoring at the other end. Errors were still prevalent but on 72 minutes, after a spell of Giants pressure, Sam Rapira had Giants supporters on their feet as he powered over by the posts for a score levelling try. Three minutes later Adam O’Brien went in from dummy half to score a dramatic game winning try, with Martyn Ridyard successfully converting from both tries to put the Giants eight points to the good. A late Dragons penalty gave the field position for the final couple of minutes but the Giants were not going to concede.

Defence had been paramount in an error ridden encounter, however an entertaining finish earned the Giants a crucial two points.

The Giants are next in action on Friday 26 May at Wakefield kick off 8.00pm.





Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by