Match Report

Super League
Friday 23rd June 2017, 20:00
Super League - Round: 19
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(13) 19


Wigan Warriors

(12) 19

Wigan Warriors

3 Trys

Leroy Cudjoe, Lee Gaskell, Jermaine McGillvary,



John Bateman, Liam Marshall 2,

3 Goals

Martyn Ridyard, Danny Brough 2,


Goals 3

George Williams 3,


Danny Brough,

D Goals 1

George Williams,

Attendance:   Official: G Hewer  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal dropgoal try goal try goal
try goal try goal try goal dropgoal

Full Time Report

After a long injury absence Ukuma Ta’ai returned to the Giants side from the bench for the visit of Champions Wigan Warriors to the John Smith’s Stadium on a damp and breezy evening. Darnell McIntosh, Nathan Mason and Tyler Dickinson also came into the side after replacing the injured Jake Mamo, Adam O’Brien and Dale Ferguson.

The Giants started strongly with the bulk of early possession and field position favouring the Giants, Wigan making several errors when in possession. On eight minutes the Giants took the lead after a spell of pressure inside the Warriors 20, Ryan Hinchcliffe put Leroy Cudjoe away on the right and the Giants skipper’s footwork and power took him past 2 defenders for a fine try by the posts, Martyn Ridyard adding the extras. On 17 minutes Danny Brough’s 40/20 led to a goal line drop out, from which he was able to score a drop goal to stretch the Giants lead to 7 points. Another Danny Brough kick led to a further goal line drop out and on 24 minutes the Giants struck again. This time created through a Brough grubber to the in-goal area where Lee Gaskell was able to touch down, Brough also adding the extras. Martyn Ridyard had been injured in a tackle which preceded the Gaskell try and left the field with a shoulder injury. A George Williams kick led to Wigan forcing a goal line drop out and a series of penalties incurred by the Giants led to a swing in the momentum of the game with John Bateman crashing over on 30 minutes for the visitors, Williams then adding the extras. Then on the stroke of half time Liam Marshall touched down in the left corner with George Williams’ fine touchline conversion reducing the Giants lead to just 1 point.

The Giants had dominated the first half hour and, had it not been for solid Wigan defence, could have been further ahead despite the Warriors showing their attacking potential in the last quarter of the half.

An early second half penalty gave field position and momentum straight back to the Warriors and with only 3 minutes of the half gone they were in the lead with Liam Marshall touching down in the left corner with Sam Tomkins heavily involved in the build-up. George Williams’ conversion put his side 5 points to the good with further pressure coming when Darnell McIntosh dropped a high kick which lead to a goal line drop out. The Giants defence held out and then a searing Ukuma Ta’ai break down the centre marked a swing back in momentum to the Giants. Danny Brough’s kick led to a goal line drop out and eventually to a Jermaine McGillvary try from a Leroy Cudjoe pass in the right corner. Danny Brough’s superb touchline conversion gave the Giants a point advantage, however this was nullified on 67 minutes by a George Williams drop goal as the scores were brought level. There would be no further score in the time remaining, despite drop goal attempts by both teams.


Both teams had given their all in a thrilling encounter as they strove for the win. The injury to Martyn Ridyard had disrupted the Giants but the arrival of Jordan Rankin from Australia will be a welcome boost. Next time out for the Giants is a Sunday 2nd July tie at the A J Bell Stadium against Salford Red Devils, kick off 3.00pm.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by