Match Report

Super 8s
Friday 18th August 2017, 20:00
Super 8s - Round: 3
Super 8s
Hull FC

Hull FC

(12) 18


Huddersfield Giants

(22) 46

Huddersfield Giants

3 Trys

Gareth Ellis, Jake Connor, Josh Griffin,



Darnell McIntosh 2, Lee Gaskell 3, Alex Mellor, Tyler Dickinson, Kruise Leeming,

3 Goals

Marc Sneyd 3,


Goals 7

Danny Brough 4, Jordan Rankin 3,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: KCOM Stadium, Hull

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try goal try goal try goal goal try goal try try goal try goal
try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

Conditions were ideal for a fast open game of Rugby League football at the KCOM Stadium Hull where the Giants travelled for Round 3 of the Super 8s to take on Hull FC.

Early exchanges were even but when the Giants spilled possession on halfway on 9 minutes the ball was worked deep into the Giants 20 and Gareth Ellis, who had announced his pending retirement at the end of this season, forced his way over to touch down by the posts on his 450th appearance, Marc Sneyd adding the extras.

The Giants, with Danny Brough’s kicking game began to cause problems for the home defence, and on 19 minutes they opened their account. A Lee Gaskell grubber forced a goal line drop out and from the resultant play swift passing to the left gave Darnell McIntosh the chance to finish with aplomb in the left corner, Danny Brough missing the conversion.

Five minutes later the Giants took the lead. Again it followed a goal line drop out, Kruise Leeming’s pass putting Lee Gaskell over by the posts to round off a spell of intense pressure.

Danny Brough added the extras, but the four point lead was negated five minutes later on the back of two penalties conceded and Jake Connor cutting through the defence for a try to which Marc Sneyd added the extras.

Again though the Giants quickly hit back with Daniel Smith making the break and Jordan Rankin putting Alex Mellor over on the right, Danny Brough adding the extras.

Then on the stroke of half time a lovely passing move with the ball travelling through several pairs of hands was rounded off with a second try of the evening for Darnell McIntosh. Danny Brough’s conversion gave the Giants an interval lead of 10 points.

After a relatively slow start they had put their game together and thoroughly deserved the lead.

Four minutes into the second half a Danny Brough penalty goal stretched the lead to 12 points and then on 51 minutes the Giants scored again. Darnell McIntosh made a break from inside his own followed by good work from Daniel Smith which put Tyler Dickinson in for a try, Jordan Rankin adding the extras.

Danny Brough had to leave the field with a leg problem but this did not affect the Giants’ momentum and dominance with Lee Gaskell taking on the mantle of playmaker and on 58 minutes taking advantage and touching down a loose ball for an opportunist try, Jordan Rankin’s conversion attempt going wide.

A Josh Griffin try, goaled by Marc Sneyd gave the home side brief hope, but further tries from Kruise Leeming in the left corner on 69 minutes and then Lee Gaskell from the restart play, both goaled by Jordan Rankin, sealed the Giants success and kept alive their top four prospects.

The Giants forwards, with Sebastine Ikahihifo having a particularly outstanding performance, had bossed proceedings with the whole team contributing on attack and in defence in an all-round performance.

League leaders Shield winners Castleford Tigers are the next visitors to the John Smith’s Stadium in Round 4 of the Super 8s Friday 1st September, kick off 8.00pm.






Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by