Match Report

Super 8s
Friday 1st September 2017, 20:00
Super 8s - Round: 4
Super 8s
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(12) 16


Castleford Tigers

(6) 24

Castleford Tigers

3 Trys

Ollie Roberts, Paul Clough, Darnell McIntosh,



Jake Webster, Ben Roberts, Greg Eden, Luke Gale,

2 Goals

Jordan Rankin 2,


Goals 4

Luke Gale 4,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 6,284  Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: The John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try goal goal try
try goal try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

League Leaders Shield winners Castleford Tigers were the visitors to the John Smiths Stadium for Round 4 of the Super 8s with the Giants looking to continue the form which had seen them defeat Hull at the KCOM Stadium last time out. Sam Rapira and Oliver Roberts came back into the Giants side but Dale Ferguson was a late withdrawal with Nathan Mason and also Tyler Dickinson missing out.

The Tigers looked lively in the early stages and took a 12th minute lead with a Jake Webster try on the right after a penalty had set up the field position, the centre powering over from close range. The setback seemed to stir the Giants into greater efforts with Jermaine McGillvary going close and kicks from Lee Gaskell and Danny Brough causing problems. The Giants then deservedly got on the scoresheet through an Oliver Roberts try with the score being set up by a mazy run from Sebastine Ikahihifo who ran across the face of the defence first to the left then the right before finding Danny Brough whose pass then put Roberts over to the right of the posts. Danny Brough’s conversion attempt failed but the Giants now were in the ascendancy. Sam Rapira was held up over the line and then a Greg Eden interception thwarted another Giants attack. On 34 minutes the Giants hit the front. A huge, high spiralling Danny Brough kick was spilled by the Tigers and after Sam Rapira had been held just short the ball was quickly moved to Paul Clough who charged over to touch down, Jordan Rankin adding the extras. Ukuma Ta’ai then went close and good defence held out the Giants as they piled on the pressure. On the stroke of half time an incident involving Kruise Leeming was put on report by the match officials and Jordan Rankin kicked a penalty goal to give the Giants a 6 point interval lead.

The second half began with the Tigers mounting a succession of attacks and following two penalties they struck with a Ben Roberts try by the posts as the defence was split. Luke Gale’s conversion levelled the scores with 43 minutes gone and 5 minutes later, following another penalty, Greg Eden scorched over in the left corner, Luke Gale again converting. The momentum was now firmly with the Tigers and a searing run down the left by Greg Eden set up a try for Luke Gale, the try scorer adding the conversion. The Giants were now up against it and despite their valiant efforts the Tigers defence held them out with handling errors on attack costing the Giants dear. A 50 metre break by the outstanding Sebastine Ikahihifo brought Giants supporters to their feet but the ball went to ground in the resulting play. A couple of drop goal attempts by the Tigers  failed and no further score came until the 76th minute when swift Giants passing in the Tigers 20 created space for Darnell McIntosh to speed over in the left corner, Jordan Rankin’s conversion attempt falling wide.

The second half had been dominated by the League leaders with the handling errors of the Giants contributing to their downfall. They had however shown their true potential in the second quarter of the first half and more of that form will be required in Round 5 of the Super 8s next time out at the A J Bell Stadium on Saturday 9 September 2017 kick off 1.30pm.





Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by