Match Report

Super League
Friday 9th March 2018, 20:00
Super League - Round: 5
Super League
Widnes Vikings

Widnes Vikings

(0) 16


Huddersfield Giants

(14) 28

Huddersfield Giants

3 Trys

Joe Mellor, Matt Whitley, Stefan Marsh,



Ryan Hinchcliffe, Jake Mamo, Ollie Roberts, Jermaine McGillvary,

2 Goals

Tom Gilmore 2,


Goals 6

Danny Brough 6,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: B Thaler  Venue: Halton Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal goal try goal try goal goal
try goal try goal try

Full Time Report

Huddersfield Giants recorded their first away win of the season as they beat Widnes Vikings 28-16 in a repeat score-line of last year’s victory at the Halton Stadium.

Jake Mamo and Jermaine McGillvary grabbed their first tries of the season after Ryan Hinchcliffe opened the scoring and twelve points via the boot from the instrumental Danny Brough, kicked around a second-half Oliver Roberts try, proved just too much for Widnes to handle.

After three defeats in the opening four Super League fixtures, the Giants were cruising towards a much needed two points having led 24-0 with less than 20 minutes to go - but three quickfire tries from a 12-man Widnes team set up a frantic finish for Rick Stone’s men.

Although the 14-0 score-line at the break didn’t do justice after the Giants bombarded the Vikings half throughout, Stone’s side put in an impressive performance for the majority of the 80 minutes and showed real resilience to hold on to a lead against a team who had hoped to build from their previous impressive home 23-6 victory over Leeds Rhinos.

The Giants started off in brilliant mood as Brough’s high kick caused problems for Rhys Handbury who did well to recover loose possession.

But the experienced Claret and Gold man targeted him with another speciality spiral kick again, this time the Vikings fullback knocking backwards into his own goal area and Hinchcliffe fended off opposition to notch his second try of the season.

And it was Brough again who set up the second try of the evening. After initially breaking down the left and finding Mamo who failed on his kick and run attempt, the Aussie full-back did excellent to latch on to the scrum half’s kick as he sprinted and touched down just before the dead ball line. Brough kicked his second conversion.

Stone’s side were in full flow throughout and thought they’d grabbed their third try when Dale Ferguson burst through the Widnes try-line – only to be held up in the goal area. Giants were in again but Mamo couldn’t control a short ball pass and Vikings’ Kristan Inu was there to race in to the away side’s half. But as Widnes lost possession and seemed to keep giving Giants endless penalties, Brough opted for goal to notch further ahead.

With three first half minutes remaining, the Giants had another good chance to add to their well-deserved score-line but Kruise Leeming’s pass to Jermaine McGillvary was too high for the winger to score from.

Widnes did create some chances but were either forced in to a knock on or to turnover possession thanks to the strong and sturdy Giants defence – lead not least by Sam Wood who put in a strong shift in his first start of 2018 after signing a contract earlier this week with the Club. Even when Tom Gilmore had a penalty from in-front of goal just before the hooter he kicked wide in the rainy conditions.

After the restart, Brough’s attempted kick in to touch from a penalty was miskicked but Widnes couldn’t take any advantage and gave away possession yet again.

The Giants, however, didn’t waste their penalty and after building a fine set Roberts turned over the try-line superbly in a tackle to add to his season tally. Midway through the second half Widnes had a scrum on the 10m line and looked to have scored through Ed Chamberain on the left but the try was ruled out for a forward pass from provider Charly Runciman.

On came Alex Mellor after a lengthy time on the sideline from injury before Wellington Albert was sent off for the home side, and Giants wasted no time in taking advantage as McGillvary scored his sixth try in four matches against Widnes after being played in on the right.

After Ryan Hinchcliffe was sin-binned, Widnes did reply as they scored two quick fire tries in the space of three minutes to half the deficit; first through a great dummy from Joe Mellor before Matt Whitley proved too powerful down the left. Gilmore added both conversions to halve the deficit.

But Brough kicked two close ranged penalties either side of Stefan Marsh’s reply as the Giants held on to a 28-16 victory.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by