Match Report

Super League
Sunday 20th May 2018, 15:15
Super League - Round: 15
Super League
Wakefield Trinity

Wakefield Trinity

(6) 22


Huddersfield Giants

(19) 25

Huddersfield Giants

4 Trys

Matty Ashurst, Ben Jones-Bishop 2, Reece Lyne,



Aaron Murphy, Adam O'Brien, Jake Mamo, Darnell McIntosh,

3 Goals

Liam Finn 3,


Goals 4

Danny Brough 4,



D Goals 1

Danny Brough,

Attendance:   Official: J Child  Venue: St James' Park

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal dropgoal try goal
try goal try goal try goal try

Full Time Report

Michael Lawrence was a late withdrawal from the Giants side to face Wakefield Trinity in the Dacia Magic Weekend fixture at St James' Park on a glorious sunny afternoon, his place being taken by Tyler Dickinson. Aaron Murphy moved to second row with Jake Mamo in at centre.

The Giants withstood 3 consecutive sets of tackles in early play and then when they attacked Jordan Rankin’s kick led to a goal line drop out being forced.

The Giants were looking lively and took the lead on 9 minutes, Danny Brough’s short pass putting Ukuma Ta’ai through on a 30 metre run, feeding Aaron Murphy, who touched down on the left, Danny Brough adding the extras.

Trinity almost made an immediate response but Mason Caton-Brown was forced into touch by a superb Jermaine McGillvary tackle by the left corner flag.

Then on 20 minutes after a spell of concerted pressure the Giants extended their lead, Adam O’Brien scooting in from dummy half, Danny Brough adding the extras.

Shortly afterwards, with the Giants well on top, Aaron Murphy broke down the centre and sent Jake Mamo racing to the line for a fine try. Danny Brough’s conversion gave the Giants an 18 point advantage with just 25 minutes gone.

The restart kick off went out on the full and Jordan Rankin was halted 2 metres short as the Giants pressed to extend their lead but 2 penalties conceded by the Giants brought a change in the momentum of the game.

On the half hour, Miller’s kick led to a goal line drop out and from the resulting play Trinity got on the score sheet, Ashurst’s kick to the line rebounding back to him and a try wide out on the left. Liam Finn added the extras.

The Giants began to concede penalties giving Trinity good field position but the Giants defence remained strong and on 38 minutes, following a Danny Brough 40/20 with the clock ticking down towards the half time hooter, Brough dropped a goal to give the Giants a 13 point interval advantage.

The first 25 minutes had been virtually dominated by the Giants but the last 10 minutes of the half had shown that Trinity were not a spent force and could well give the Giants problems in the second half.

An early Jacob Miller break, followed by consecutive penalties and the Giants being placed on a team warning, with Kruise Leeming then being sinbinned, put the Giants on the back foot at the start of the second half. Trinity took full advantage as Jacob Miller’s  kick to the right corner in-goal area was touched down by Ben Jones-Bishop. Liam Finn’s conversion reduced the deficit to 7 points.

The game now had a totally different complexion to the first half but on 49 minutes a sweeping passing move to the left gave Darnell McIntosh the opportunity to dive over by the left corner flag for a spectacular try, Danny Brough landing a splendid touchline conversion.

With 55 minutes on the clock, Aaron Murphy left the field after a head knock and a minute later Ben Jones-Bishop touched down for his second try of the match with Liam Finn again adding the conversion.

The game was now heading to a tense conclusion; Jordan Rankin crossed on the right but the video referee ruled an obstruction, with handling errors also blighting the Giants progress.

On 72 minutes the Giants conceded a needless penalty and Trinity took the maximum advantage with a Lyne try. Although the conversion failed, the difference between the sides was only 3 points.

Penalties being conceded by the Giants added to the tension but their defence held out and the final hooter came after Trinity had been awarded a penalty, but they failed to find touch in the dying seconds of the game.

A pulsating finish had entertained the spectators and given the Giants their third consecutive victory.

Next up for the Giants is a trip to Salford on Friday 25 May, kick off 8.00pm at the AJ Bell Stadium.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by