Match Report

Super League
Monday 2nd April 2018, 17:15
Super League - Round: 9
Super League
Catalans Dragons

Catalans Dragons

(4) 27


Huddersfield Giants

(6) 6

Huddersfield Giants

5 Trys

Jodie Broughton 2, Benjamin Jullien, David Mead 2,



Aaron Murphy,

3 Goals

Tony Gigot 3,


Goals 1

Darnell McIntosh,


Tony Gigot,

D Goals 0


Attendance: 8,853  Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: Stade Gilbert Brutus

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal
try try goal try try goal try goal dropgoal

Full Time Report

The Giants travelled to the South of France for the second match of the Easter programme further depleted by injuries with Danny Brough (ankle) missing along with Oliver Roberts and Louis Senior in addition to the lengthy list of players who missed the Leeds game. Innes Senior and Colton Roche made their Giants Super League debuts and Alex Mellor returned to the threequarters.

The Giants had a difficult journey to the game being delayed at the airport for 2 hours owing to snow in West Yorkshire. On a sunny evening early exchanges were even but the Giants suffered a problem on just 5 minutes when Adam O’Brien had to leave the field for a head assessment after a high tackle. 2 penalties gave the Giants field position but a handling error spoiled that but the Giants were looking the more likely to break the deadlock and it came when Sebastine Ikahihifo put a short pass to Ukuma Ta’ai who broke through the defence on a powerful run feeding Jordan Turner who gave Aaron Murphy the chance to cut through and touch down for a well worked try, Darnell McIntosh adding the extras.

The Giants though failed to deal with the restart kick, Darnell McIntosh knocking on in his own 20 and the resulting play saw Jodie Broughton touch down in the left corner the video referee confirming the score. Gigot failed to convert and although the Dragons then forced a goal line drop out the remainder of the half saw the Giants in the ascendancy but without being able to score.

A Jordan Turner kick forced a goal line drop out and then the video referee ruled against the Giants when Aaron Murphy stole the ball in a one on one tackle after a kick to the line. Michael Lawrence touched down in the right hand corner shortly before the half time hooter but a forward pass ruled out a score after Rankin had been held just short and half time came with the Giants holding a narrow 2 point lead.

The second half saw a complete reversal in the momentum of the game. On the first set of tackles the Dragons kicked on the last tackle to the Giants left corner where Innes Senior was unable to collect and Julien touched down the video referee confirming the try. Gigot added the extras.

5 minutes later Mead got a try after good work by Bird, Gigot hitting the post with his conversion attempt. As the Giants fought back a Turner kick gave Daniel Smith a chance but he could not hold on to the ball and the Dragons stretched the lead with another Mead try after a break down the centre, Gigot adding the extras. A penalty to the Giants gave them field position and Jordan Turner was held up over the line but the next score went to the Dragons, Jodie Broughton getting his second try of the match from a McIlorum cut out pass. Gigot hit the post with the conversion attempt.

The remainder of the game was scrappy with errors and penalties disrupting the flow, Colton Roche going off after a head knock. Gigot added a penalty goal and a drop goal for the Dragons giving them a final score of 27 points. It had been a disappointing second half for the Giants who had failed to build on the first half performance. Castleford at the John Smith’s Stadium are the next opponents on Sunday 8 April Kick off 3.00pm.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by