Match Report

Super League
Friday 25th May 2018, 20:00
Super League - Round: 16
Super League
Salford Red Devils

Salford Red Devils

(10) 16


Huddersfield Giants

(6) 24

Huddersfield Giants

3 Trys

Junior Sa'u 2, Niall Evalds,



Darnell McIntosh, Daniel Smith, Jordan Turner, Kruise Leeming,

2 Goals

Rob Lui 2,


Goals 4

Danny Brough 4,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: L Moore  Venue: AJ Bell Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal try goal
try goal try try goal

Full Time Report

Following last week’s success at the Dacia Magic Weekend the Giants travelled to the AJ Bell Stadium to take on a Salford Red Devils side which sat one place above the Giants in the League ladder. Oliver Roberts and Daniel Smith returned to the Giants side after injury.

Head Coach Simon Woolford had just arrived from Australia and was present at the match.

An early Jake Mamo handling error inside his own 20 gifted field position and possession to the Red Devils and they took full advantage to slice through the Giants defence, Junior Sa’u touching down on 3 minutes, Robert Lui missing the conversion.

The Giants quickly sought to respond and Jermaine McGillvary went in at right corner but the touch judge ruled that he had been tackled into touch.

On 15 minutes Robert Lui kicked a penalty goal to put his side 6 points to the good but on 19 minutes the Giants got on the scoresheet, Jake Mamo putting Darnell McIntosh over in the left corner, Danny Brough missing the conversion attempt.

A couple of minutes later though the Giants were level with a Danny Brough penalty goal for a late tackle on Darnell McIntosh. On the half hour the Giants conceded a sloppy try when Jordan Rankin failed to deal with a kick to the ingoal area and Evalds touched down. Robert Lui could not add the extras and the half time hooter arrived with the Red Devils leading by 4 points.

The Giants would be disappointed to be behind at the break as they had enjoyed the bulk of possession after a slow start but conceded 2 preventable tries.

Early errors by both sides marked the start of the second half and a break by Kruise Leeming should have led to a score but he passed to a Salford player who then raced some 60 metres before being caught by Danny Brough and on 48 minutes Sebastine Ikahihifo had to leave the field for a head assessment.

The Giants were now monopolising field position and on 52 minutes Daniel Smith powered over from close range after consecutive penalties, Danny Brough’s conversion edging the Giants in front.

On 64 minutes the lead was increased with a Jordan Turner try to the right of the posts followed by a Kruise Leeming try when he dummied his way over after Danny Brough had forced a goal line drop out.

Danny Brough converted both tries and although the Red Devils scored a late Junior Sa’u try, goaled by Robert Lui, the victory went to the Giants.

Apart from the late try the Giants had dominated the second half and thoroughly their victory.

Another stern test faces them next Thursday 31st May in the Quarter Final of the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup when the resurgent Catalans Dragons are the opponents at the John Smith’s Stadium, kick off 7.35pm.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by