Match Report

Super League
Friday 15th June 2018, 19:45
Super League - Round: 18
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(14) 26


Catalans Dragons

(24) 25

Catalans Dragons

5 Trys

Alex Mellor, Darnell McIntosh, Jermaine McGillvary 2, Adam O'Brien,



Brayden Wiliame, Vincent Duport, David Mead, Remi Casty,

3 Goals

Oliver Russell 3,


Goals 4

Josh Drinkwater 4,



D Goals 1

Tony Gigot,

Attendance:   Official: G Hewer  Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try try try try goal goal
try goal try goal try goal try goal dropgoal

Full Time Report

Dale Ferguson returned to the Giants side after injury for the visit of Catalans Dragons to the John Smith’s Stadium in a vital Betfred Super League encounter for a top 8 finish with only five more fixtures to play before the split. Paul Clough took a well-earned break for the first time this season.

The Dragons got off to a flying start with a sixth minute try coming from a Drinkwater kick to the ingoal area and a touchdown by Brayden Wiliame and three minutes later a Drinkwater lobbed kick to the left and a touchdown by Vincent Duport, both converted by Josh Drinkwater.

The Giants could not get going and quickly conceded a goal line drop out following a charged down kick and on 17 minutes the score got worse, a dab kick to the ingoal area by Drinkwater being touched down between the posts by David Mead, again converted by Josh Drinkwater.

An 18 point lead in as many minutes had stunned the Giants and the bumper 9000 crowd but on 22 minutes, following a penalty, the Giants got on the scoresheet, Alex Mellor scorching over to the right of the posts from Oliver Russell’s pass, Russell also adding the extras.

On 29 minutes though the Dragons scored a quality try from an excellent passing move, Remi Casty getting the touch down between the posts, and Josh Drinkwater’s conversion restoring his side’s 18 point lead.

The Giants though were now beginning to show their true qualities and on 33 minutes an excellent passing move gave Darnell McIntosh space wide out on the left to beat the defenders and score a fine try and just 44 minutes later a concerted attack on the right enabled Leroy Cudjoe to skilfully hold up the ball and put Jermaine McGillvary over for a try. Oliver Russell could not add the extras to either of the last two tries but the deficit at the half time hooter had been reduced to 10 points.

The Giants had been unable to deal with the Dragons kicking game in the first 20 minutes and the Dragons deserved to be ahead but their discipline was beginning to be a problem having conceded seven first half penalties.

The first 10 minutes of the second half saw defences on top but gradually the Giants were beginning to gain the ascendancy. A Russell kick forced a goal line drop out and then on 56 minutes Adam O’Brien forced his way over from dummy half to bring the Giants within 6 points of the Dragons. Oliver Russell could not add the extras to the try but the crowd were now becoming more vocal sensing the Giants might now snatch victory.

On 64 minutes they were on their feet when Jermaine McGillvary intercepted a Drinkwater lobbed pass 5 metres from the Giants line and raced away on a 90 metre run to the line. Oliver Russell’s conversion levelled the scores and set up a nail biting last 15 minutes. Michael McIllorum tried a drop goal attempt which hit a post and rebounded back out into the hands of a Giants defender and on 74 minutes Tony Gigot edged the Dragons back in front with a drop goal but 3 minutes later their discipline let them down at a play the ball and Oliver Russell land the penalty goal which put the Giants in front for the first time in the game. There was still time for a late Dragons attack but their claim for a try was ruled out by the referee and the game ended in some acrimony with the Dragons angry at late decisions going against them.

Overall, it had been an exciting encounter with the Giants deserving great praise for turning round an 18 point deficit against a quality side. The two League points keeps them in 8th position in the League table and three points clear of the Dragons who have played one game fewer than the Giants. Another stiff task faces the Giants next time out on Friday 29th June against Hull KR away, kick-off 8.00pm.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by