Match Report

Super League
Friday 29th June 2018, 20:00
Super League - Round: 19
Super League
Hull Kingston Rovers

Hull Kingston Rovers

(12) 37


Huddersfield Giants

(4) 10

Huddersfield Giants

6 Trys

Joel Tomkins, Adam Quinlan 2, Taioalo Vaivai, Ryan Shaw 2,



Darnell McIntosh, Aaron Murphy,

6 Goals

Ryan Shaw 6,


Goals 1

Oliver Russell,


Chris Atkin,

D Goals 0


Attendance: 7,080  Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: KCOM Craven Park

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try try goal
try goal try goal try goal try goal try goal try goal dropgoal

Full Time Report

After a difficult journey to the KCOM Craven Park Hull Stadium following the closing of the A63 road after a serious road traffic accident, the Giants stepped off the coach to a temperature several degrees cooler than that at Huddersfield seeking a win which would help to secure a Top 8 place in the Super League at the cut-off point 4 matches away.Handling errors by the Giants and penalties conceded characterised the early exchanges but good defence kept the scoresheet clean and in fact the Giants took the lead on 15 minutes, a kick to the line being fumbled by the defence with Darnell McIntosh touching down, Oliver Russell missing the conversion. The Rovers though continued to enjoy the bulk of possession with penalties awarded against them far too frequently plus a succession of handling errors. The Giants defence was good but eventually  the pressure broke through and a penalty followed by a goal line drop out resulted in Joel Tomkins crashing over to the right of the posts, Ryan Shaw adding the extras. With 30 minutes gone the Rovers had a 2 point lead and 4 minutes later a penalty conceded by the Giants when in possession of the ball led to a Quinlan try converted by Ryan Shaw. The half time hooter came with the Giants trailing by 8 points which taking into account the number of penalties conceded and lack of possession of the ball was not too bad a return of the proceedings.The position though got immediately worse at the start of the second half, 2 penalties being conceded resulting in a try to Junior Vaivai on 44 minutes and an Adam Quinlan try 4 minutes later, both converted by Ryan Shaw. The match result was now virtually settled  with the momentum wholly with the Rovers and they ran in further tries to Ryan Shaw on 55 and 58 minutes both of which he converted , the Giants getting a try to Aaron Murphy goaled by Oliver Russell in a late flurry. The scoring was completed on 79 minutes with a Chris Atkin drop goal.This had been a match to forget for the Giants, focus now switching to next Thursday’s match at the John Smith’s Stadium when Hull are the visitors kick off 7.45pm.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by