Match Report

Super League
Thursday 5th July 2018, 19:45
Super League - Round: 20
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(19) 29


Hull FC

(6) 18

Hull FC

5 Trys

Daniel Smith, Aaron Murphy, Jordan Rankin, Darnell McIntosh 2,



Bureta Faraimo, Hakim Miloudi, Danny Houghton,

4 Goals

Danny Brough 4,


Goals 3

Jake Connor 3,


Danny Brough,

D Goals 0


Attendance: 4,696  Official: R Hicks  Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try goal dropgoal try goal try
try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

Danny Brough returned to the Giants side after suspension and Ukuma Ta’ai was back after injury but Leroy Cudjoe was a late withdrawal for the visit to the John Smith’s Stadium of Hull FC with the Giants looking to get back to winning ways after last week’s defeat at Hull KR.

The Giants began with a succession of handling errors which coupled to penalties conceded meant that the early play was almost entirely spent in the Giants half of the field  but solid defence prevented any score and on 13 minutes on their first attack in Hull territory the Giants took the lead,  Danny Brough’s pass in the 20 putting Daniel Smith on an angled run to split the defence and touch down by the posts, Danny Brough adding the extras. The visitors pressed strongly in reply and Scott Taylor forced his way over but without being able to ground the ball but on 22 minutes a grubber kick to the ingoal area evaded the defence and Faraimo touched down wide out on the right, Jake Connor kicking the touchline conversion. On the half hour after a penalty the Giants regained the lead. Ryan Hinchcliffe was held just short but when the ball was recycled to the left Aaron Murphy, now established in the second row, charged over to the left of the posts, Danny Brough’s conversion putting the Giants 6 points to the good. 4 minutes later the Giants took a stranglehold on the game with a scorching Jordan Rankin try searing through the defence and touching down between the posts. Danny Brough added the extras and on the stroke of half time kicked a drop goal to give the Giants a 13 point advantage at the break.

After an error strewn first quarter the Giants had improved and finished the half well on top, the forwards in particular dominating their Hull counterparts. Early second half attacks by the Giants lacked composure but the momentum remained with the Giants and on 55 minutes they struck again, swift hands giving Darnell McIntosh the chance to touch down in the left hand corner with Danny Brough kicking the touchline conversion. The short restart kick off was collected by the visitors and was followed by a penalty and a Miloudi try on the right converted by Jake Connor. A Kelly kick to the ingoal area forced a goal line drop out but the Giants defence remained strong although they suffered a blow when Sebastine Ikahihifo had to leave the field with a leg injury. Danny Brough though was now controlling the game with a series of kicks into Hull’s territory and it was no real surprise when they scored again Darnell McIntosh crossing again in a replica of his earlier try. This time though Danny Brough’s conversion attempt was just wide. A late Danny Houghton try on 77 minutes goaled by Jake Connor narrowed the deficit but had no real impact on the game result which the Giants had deservedly won.

The 2 League points lifted the Giants into the Top 8 on the League ladder with 3 games to go before the cut-off point, Wigan being the next opponents, Thursday 12 July 2018 kick off 7.45pm at the John Smith’s Stadium being the date.





Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by