Match Report

Super League
Thursday 12th July 2018, 19:45
Super League - Round: 21
Super League
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(12) 20


Wigan Warriors

(6) 12

Wigan Warriors

224 Trys

Darnell McIntosh 2, Alex Mellor, Leroy Cudjoe,



Sam Tomkins, Tom Davies,

114 Goals

Danny Brough 2,


Goals 113

Sam Tomkins 2,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 5,264  Official: G Hewer  Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try try
try goal try goal

Full Time Report

Jake Mamo and Dale Ferguson returned to the Giants side for the visit to the John Smith’s Stadium of second placed Wigan Warriors on a warm sunny evening with the Giants looking for a win to keep them in the Top 8 of the Super League standings at the cut off point 2 matches away.

The Warriors started strongly, a kick to the ingoal area forcing an early goal line drop out and then in the resulting play after a Warriors apparent knock on play was allowed to continue and Sam Tomkins kicked ahead regathered and touched down to the wrath of Giants supporters, the try scorer also adding the extras. The Giants fought back strongly but suffered a blow when Jermaine McGillvary took a head knock and had to leave the field for assessment but despite this hit back on 13 minutes. Lee Gaskell’s lofted kick to the left corner was gathered with a suoerb leap by Darnell McIntosh and touched down for a fine try, Danny Brough just missing the conversion. Shortly after as the Giants maintained their pressure he kicked a penalty goal to level the scores. An Adam O’Brien knock on in his own half then gave Wigan a chance but the Giants defence held firm and when play was transferred to the other end a clever offload by Adam O’Brien opened up the defence and Alex Mellor touched down for a try to the right of the posts to put the Giants in the lead. Danny Brough’s conversion attempt hit the posts and bounced out. Lee Gaskell’s kick then forced a goal line drop out and a penalty on 35 minutes gave Danny Brough the opportunity to stretch the Giants  lead with another goal. Before the half time hooter the Giants withstood a goal line dropout and consequent pressure without conceding any further score and half time came with the Giants in the ascendancy and thoroughly deserving their lead.

The Giants got off to a blistering start to the second half with a Darnell McIntosh try in the left corner after a flowing move and lovely pass from Jake Mamo. Danny Brough’s touchline conversion attempt just fell short but the Giants now had a 10 point lead and were asking most of the questions. their resolve was tested further on 59 minutes when Michael Lawrence prevented Wigan from taking a quick 20 metre restart and was sinbinned. Excellent defence continued to hold them out and on 65 minutes Danny Brough’s astute kick to the ingoal area waas touched down by Leroy Cudjoe to put his side 14 points to the good. Although the goal kick again failed  the Giants were not now going to let the Warriors back into the game and despite a late spell of pressure aided by a succession of penalties they were restricted to a Tom Davies try in the right corner with a Sam Tomkins conversion on 75 minutes. No further scores materialised and the Giants finished comfortably taking the points to move up to 7th in the League table.

It had been a tough encounter with the Giants defensive work being outstanding and laying the foundation for the success. More of the same will be needed next time out – at Castleford Friday 20 July 2018 kick off 7.45pm.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by