Match Report

Super 8s
Friday 31st August 2018, 19:45
Super 8s - Round: 3
Super 8s
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(12) 16


Wakefield Trinity

(6) 42

Wakefield Trinity

40 Trys

Jermaine McGillvary, Ukuma Ta'ai, Aaron Murphy,



Tom Johnstone 2, Ryan Hampshire, Scott Grix 2, Ben Jones-Bishop, Jacob Miller,

31 Goals

Danny Brough 2,


Goals 40

Ryan Hampshire 7,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: G Hewer  Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal try
try goal try goal try goal try goal try goal try goal try goal

Full Time Report

Michael Lawence and Aaron Murphy returned to the Giants side after injury for the West Yorkshire derby in Round 3 of the Super 8s at the John Smith’s Stadium, Oliver Roberts and Dale Ferguson missing out on an evening ideal for Rugby League football.

Early Giants pressure led to a Lee Gaskell grubber to the ingoal area and a goal line drop out and on 12 minutes a Jermaine McGillvary try stemming from a Danny Brough kick and a scintillating passing move, Danny Brough adding the touchline conversion.6 minutes later with the Giants continuing to enjoy the momentum of the game Ukuma Ta’ai stormed over for the second try of the evening Danny Brough again adding the extras. Consecutive penalties then however to a Tom Johnstone try in the left corner and a Ryan Hampshire touchline conversion put Trinity back in the game and they began to enjoy the majority of field position with the Giants defence being put under extreme pressure. There was though no further score before half time the Giants going in at the hooter 6 points to the good.

Injury to Darnell McIntosh led to his withdrawal late in the first half and Aaron Murphy moving to the left wing position which put him on hand to touch down wide out on the left 3 minutes into the second half as the Giants extended their lead, Danny Brough missing the conversion. 5 minutes later the game took a total transformation; Kruise Leeming’s soft pass was eagerly snapped up by Tom Johnstone on the Trinity left and he raced 60 metres down the left wing for a spectacular try goaled by Ryan Hampshire followed by another try and goal from Ryan Hampshire almost immediately afterwards as Trinity hit the front. Trinity were now totally dominant and bossed the rest of the match with further tries coming from Scott Grix (2), Ben Jones-Bishop and Jacob Miller all goaled by Ryan Hampshire to give a final total of 42 points with the Giants defence in shreds.

Credit to Trinity for their second half performance which had been outstanding. The Giants will need to regroup for next Friday’s Round 4 Super 8s encounter at the Halliwell-Jones Stadium Warrington 7 September 2018 kick off 7.45pm.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by