Match Report

Pre-Season 2018
Sunday 14th January 2018, 15:00
Pre-Season 2018 - Round: 1
Pre-Season 2018
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(22) 32


Dewsbury Rams

(6) 22

Dewsbury Rams


Wood (2), Roberts, Clough, Hewitt, English



Potts, Morton, Glover, Hallett


Brough (3)Farrell



Sykes (2) Glover



D Goals


Attendance: 1,559  Official:   Venue: The John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Full Time Report

Huddersfield Giants were victorious in their first game of 2018 with a 32-22 win over Dewsbury Rams.

Club Captain Leroy Cudjoe was forced to watch on from the sidelines after injury ruled him out from participating in his Testimonial Match, however there was a warm reception for the one Club man as he was welcomed to the field pre-match.

The Giants went into the half-time break 22-6 to the good following a dominant opening 40 with tries from Oliver Roberts, Paul Clough and a Sam Wood brace.

Dewsbury responded in the second-half and came close to a heavily changed and youthful Giants squad with Sam Hewitt and Matty English grabbing the tries for the home side.

The Giants lined up with a mixture of experience and young talent fresh from the Academy as Jack Richardson, Izaac Farrell, Innes Senior, Louis Senior, Jamie Greenwood, Oliver Russell, Sam Hewitt, Jon Luke Kirby and Matty English earned game-time.

Dewsbury got the game underway but within the Giants first set, found themselves behind. Sam Wood put the Claret and Gold ahead after a high, spiralling bomb from Danny Brough put Rams full-back Josh Guzdek under pressure, with the onrushing Giants circling the ball was spilled for Wood to score within a minute of play.

Brough was at it again as he launched another ball high and deep into the Dewsbury half which was neatly dealt with Tom Halliday as he scampered clear of the in-goal area.

It wasn’t one way traffic in the early stages as Dewsbury threatened to even things up when Sam Day dived over only for the effort to be ruled out.

The Rams were on the scoresheet on the 15 minute mark as a tidy grubber kick found its way to the right wing for the hastily approaching Gareth Potts to slide over. Paul Sykes was able to covert the kick to level the scores at 6-6 following Danny Brough’s successful kick from the first try.

The Giants restored their lead just five minutes later as they worked the ball right to left with Brough quickly whipping the ball to Oliver Roberts who did well to stoop down low to catch the ball before spinning around his marker with a clever finish. After making the decisive pass, Brough was on hand to knock over the resulting conversion kick for a 12-6 lead.

It could have been more for the Giants when Darnell McIntosh was played in on the left edge by a wonderful looping pass from Jordan Rankin, however the speedy winger dropped the ball when trying to plant it down.

With 15 minutes remaining in the half the Rams pressed forward looking to restore parity, however good defensive play from new signings Adam Walne and Colton Roche alongside Simpson and Ormsby kept Dewsbury at bay.

As the half drew to a close the Giants were still hungry to add to their lead as Brough hit the ball long to send Guzdek scampering back with Matty English, Paul Clough, Michael Lawrence, Jordan Rankin and Gene Ormsby leading the charge to catch the full-back and force a goal-line drop-out.

The pressure did pay off as the Giants collected the ball from the resulting kick and Sam Wood went diving over for his second of the match after a well worked passing move created the opportunity for the young centre to score from close range.

There was still time for another as Paul Clough was sent sailing over the whitewash from a quick passage of passing play, with Danny Brough converting once-again to set the scores at 22-6 going into the half-time break.

The Giants stormed out of the blocks in the second-half with Innes Senior and Sam Hewitt putting in some strong carries.

Halliday looked to have broken away on the left wing, however Ormsby did superbly to catch the pacey winger, drag him down and force the error as he dropped the ball.

Ten minutes into the second-half and neither side had been able to conjure a meaningful attack. Dewsbury had been able to force the Giants to their try line and looked dangerous, however the Giants held firm and were able to set up an attack of their own as Jared Simpson showed electric speed and agility to weave through the Rams line and get the Claret and Gold on the front foot.

After building from the back the Giants were able to make the first breakthrough of the half through Academy prospect Sam Hewitt. Initially the Claret and Gold had worked the ball right in a slick and menacing move only for good defensive play to curtail the streak. The Giants worked the ball in-field and smart play from Izaac Farrell saw the ball to Hewitt who took matters into his own hands and charged over for a 26-6 lead.

The Rams were able to close the scores as Dale Morton found himself on the wing in a one versus one against Louis Senior, Morton kicked and chased the ball as it fortuitously squirmed through the legs of Senior for a simple score. Sykes was unsuccessful with the kick putting the scores at 26-10.

Within five minutes of scoring the Rams were in again through James Glover who found himself with enough time and space to dive over from close range to make the scores 26-16.

It didn’t stop there for the visitors as Macauley Hallett powered through on the left flank to even the scores out at 26-22 as Glover converted.

However, there was to be no comeback as Matty English, who made his Super League debut in 2017, batted his marker away and surged forwards before diving over between the sticks. Farrell stepped up for kicking duties and scored emphatically.

The Giants next pre-season fixture comes on Saturday 20th January as they travel to face Wakefield Trinity, kick off 6pm.



Team: Simpson, McIntosh, Wood, Murphy, Ormsby, Rankin, Brough, Walne, O’Brien, Dickinson, Roberts, Lawrence, Smith.

Replacements: Richardson, L. Senior, I. Senior, Farrell, Russell, Greenwood, Hewitt, Kirby, Clough, Ferguson, Roche, English

Tries: Wood (2), Roberts, Clough, Hewitt, English

Goals: Brough (3) Farrell



Team: Guzdek, Halliday, Walshaw, Hallett, Potts, Sykes, Speakman, Everett, Day, Trout, Knowles, Hayes, Ward

Replacements: Morton, Woollard, Glover, Worrincy, Sheriffe, Reilly, Teanby, Spicer, Brown

Tries: Potts, Morton, Glover, Hallett

Goals: Sykes (2), Glover 




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by