12th July 2018


REPORT: Giants 20 – 12 Wigan Warriors

Foster Care

Huddersfield Giants moved into 7th in Betfred Super League with a 20-12 victory against second-placed Wigan Warriors at the John Smith’s Stadium.

The hosts had fallen behind early, but a brace from Darnell McIntosh and further scores from Alex Mellor and Leroy Cudjoe helped secure a ninth win of the season, as the Giants pulled four points clear of the bottom four.

The visitors enjoyed the better of the early encounters and would eventually open the scoring after just five minutes.

Tomkins chased his own chipped kick to touch down by the left of the sticks, and after scoring the opening try of the game, knocked over the two points from the resulting conversion kick.

Even in the absence of Jermaine McGillvary - who was forced to briefly leave the field for a head injury assessment - the Giants fought back immediately and scored their first points of the night courtesy of Darnell McIntosh.

The winger jumped highest to collect Lee Gaskell’s perfectly-weighted cross-field kick, beating Tom Davies to the ball and touching down. Danny Brough failed to convert from a tight angle, giving the visitors a slender 6-4 lead.

The Giants drew level almost ten minutes later as Brough slotted home a simple penalty goal, before the home faithful were treated to a second try from the Claret and Gold.

Despite the pressure of the tackler, Adam O’Brien found Alex Mellor with a well-timed offload, allowing the latter to power over unopposed. Again, Brough was unable to convert, this time smashing the post.

Huddersfield were on the board again just before the break, as Brough kicked an easy penalty, Dale Ferguson having had the ball illegally stripped in the tackle.

Following the restart, the home side continued their momentum with an excellent team move.

Having been awarded a scrum for Morgan Escare’s fumble, the Giants quickly shifted the ball the entire width of the field, with Jake Mamo’s final ball setting McIntosh in for his second of the night.

The winger, who was awarded Man of the Match by Match Sponsors Marshalls Landscape Products, produced an acrobatic finish under immense pressure to put his side further ahead, now 16-6 after another unsuccessful conversion.

Following the quick start to the second-half, a quiet period of the game passed, with Michael Lawrence’s sin-binning for a professional foul the only event of note in a controlled 20-minute spell.

The Giants, however, would rally in Lawrence’s absence and register the next score, even with a one-man disadvantage.

Club Captain Leroy Cudjoe latched onto the end of Brough’s clever grubber and touched down, 12-man Huddersfield now 20-6 ahead with little over 15 minutes remaining.

The closing stages passed without much trouble for Simon Woolford’s men, although Tom Davies did eventually register a late consolation try for the visitors, 70 minutes after their first.

Tomkins converted his second of the night, but it was too little too late and the Giants held on for an important victory that saw them jump up to seventh in the Betfred Super League with just two fixtures of the regular season remaining.


Huddersfield Giants

Team: Mamo, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Turner, McIntosh; Gaskell, Brough; Lawrence, O’Brien, Clough; Mellor, Murphy, Smith.

Replacements: Hinchcliffe, English, Ferguson, Roberts. 

Tries: McIntosh (12’, 42’), Mellor (25’), Cudjoe (65’)

Goals: Brough (2/6) 


Wigan Warriors

Team: Tomkins, Davies, Paisley, Gildart, Marshall; Woods, Powell; Navarrete, Leuluai, Flower; Isa, Hamlin, O’Loughlin.

Replacements: Escare, Clubb, Kibula, Tautai.

Tries: Tomkins (5’), Davies (75’)

Goals: Tomkins (2/2)


Referee: Gareth Hewer

Attendance: 5,264



Heikki Kovalainen




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by