Match Report

Super League
Friday 23rd March 2018, 20:00
Super League - Round: 7
Super League
Wigan Warriors

Wigan Warriors

(28) 48


Huddersfield Giants

(4) 10

Huddersfield Giants

9 Trys

Tom Davies 2, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess 2, John Bateman, George Williams, Ryan Sutton, Willie Isa,



Jermaine McGillvary, Ryan Hinchcliffe,

6 Goals

Sam Tomkins 5, Morgan Escare,


Goals 1

Danny Brough,



D Goals 0


Attendance:   Official: S Mikalauskas  Venue: DW Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try interchange_on interchange_on interchange_off interchange_on try goal interchange_off
try goal try goal try try goal try goal try goal try goal try try

Full Time Report

Rick Stone’s side were dealt injury blows to Sam Wood, Jermaine McGillvary and Dale Ferguson as they fell to a strong Wigan side.

Wigan started the game in quick fashion, as a neat move from right to left split the Giants defence open and Tom Davies had enough strength to bustle his way over in the corner. Sam Tomkins converted the try from the touchline.

Wigan looked to add to their lead in the early stages, playing some dangerous rugby and looking threatening. In doing so, Sam Tomkins looked for Joe Burgess on the wing, but a great interception from Jermaine McGillvary stopped the attack, and he ran 50 metres down the line to score in the corner. Danny Brough could not add the two, leaving the scores at 6-4 to the hosts after ten minutes.

The Giants attempted to kick on after their first try of the evening, with Kruise Leeming making a half-break, and forcing two consecutive drop-outs. However, the pressure could not be turned into points in this instance.

It was then Wigan’s turn to attack, which caused the Giants problems, as they returned by forcing two drop-outs of their own, trapping Murphy in goal for one, and causing Brough to run it out with the other.

The Warriors did take advantage of their ball possession, as Sam Tomkins found Tom Davies with a delicate chip over the Giants defence, allowing the winger a simple touchdown in the corner. Tomkins added the extras with the boot to extend the Warriors lead to 12-4.

Back-to-back tries ensued as the hosts gained the field position before receiving a penalty. From the tap restart, Tommy Leuluai dropped the ball off and Wigan went down the blind side, which made room for Oliver Gildart to score in the corner. Tomkins was unsuccessful with the conversion for the first time of the evening.

Following a relieving penalty, the Claret & Gold managed to get up the field and attack the Wigan line, but the kick from Brough rebounded and resulted in a turnover.

From the following set, the Cherry & Whites advanced down the field and notched their fourth try of the match. Joe Burgess rounded off a good move as he crossed over in the corner. Tomkins made it three-from-four as he added the extras from the left-touchline, making the scores 22-4 in Wigan’s favour.

The problems worsened for the Giants, as Sam Wood was forced off through injury. There were no signs of the problems letting up either. Sam Tomkins tried to grubber a ball through to himself but was prevented from reaching the ball in doing so. The ball eventually found its way to John Bateman, who managed to get over the try-line under pressure.

Sam Tomkins converted once more, and made it 28-4 to the Warriors, as the teams departed for the break, with McGillvary’s interception try being the sole scorer for the Giants.

Wigan Warriors started the second half as they left off, forcing a drop-out in the early minutes, as Jermaine McGillvary was caught in goal. However, he was injured in the process and had to depart the field, forcing a Giants re-shuffle.

The Giants were intent on replying but were found wanting as they failed to penetrate through the Wigan defence.

After forcing a goal line drop out, George Williams was able to weave his way through the Giants defence to score just to the left of the posts. Tomkins had no problems adding the extras, extending the score to 34-4.

More pressure continued from the Warriors, and Ryan Sutton ran off the reverse ball to pile his way over the line, in front of the posts. The two were added from Morgan Escare.

The Warriors came at the Giants non-stop in the second half, and Willie Isa was the next on the scoresheet, who nipped over to the right of the posts. Escare could not convert the try and the scores remained 44-4.

On the 70th minute, the Giants got one of their own through Ryan Hinchcliffe, who raced through the defence to score next to the posts. Brough added the extras to make it 44-10.

Wigan replied almost straight away, as Burgess crossed over in the corner in what was the last points of the evening as Morgan Escare could not add the two from the touchline to give Wigan a 48-10 victory.




Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by