Match Report

Super 8s
Friday 17th August 2018, 19:45
Super 8s - Round: 2
Super 8s
Huddersfield Giants

Huddersfield Giants

(0) 26


Hull FC

(0) 6

Hull FC

29 Trys

Alex Mellor, Lee Gaskell, Ryan Hinchcliffe, Ukuma Ta'ai,



Bureta Faraimo,

36 Goals

Danny Brough 4, Darnell McIntosh,


Goals 7

Bureta Faraimo,



D Goals 0


Attendance: 4,499  Official: R Hicks  Venue: John Smith's Stadium

Star Man STAR MAN:  



Action Timeline

Huddersfield Opponent
try goal try goal goal try goal try goal
try goal

Full Time Report

Kruise Leeming for Matty English was the only change to the Giants line up from the team which beat League leaders St Helens last time out in the Super 8s for the visit of Hull FC in Round 2 to the John Smith’s Stadium on a damp breezy evening.Both sides made strenuous efforts to establish dominance in the early stages of the contest but without being able to make any breakthrough. A Jordan Abdull kick led to a goal line drop out but nothing on the scoresheet and generally sound defence was the order of the day coupled with a series of handling errors. A Hull kick forced another goal line drop out; then Faraimo’s kick from the wing rolled dead. Ukuma Ta’ai had to leave the field for a head assessment midway through the half.Neither side looked like getting a try as half time approached but a Dale Ferguson tackle stirred the crowd and then a 50 metre run down the left touchline by Jordan Rankin when he gathered a high kick on his own line brought them to their feet but half time came with no points to either side.It had not been a very enthralling contest with too many errors and stoppages for a flowing encounter.The second half though opened with a bang. Inside 3 minutes the Giants were ahead. A tackle deep inside the Hull 20 dislodged the ball which was eagerly picked up by Danny Brough who immediately found space to put Alex Mellor over for the first try of the evening to the right of the posts, Danny Brough adding the extras. 3 minutes later Adam O’Brien shot through the line down the centre and his quality pass put Lee Gaskell racing away and touching down for another Try by the posts, Danny Brough again tagging on the extra 2 points. The Giants now had the momentum and on 51 minutes Danny Brough added a penalty goal when Lee Gaskell was tackled without the ball after he kicked through. Hull though hit back on 58 minutes with a fine individual try by Bureta Faraimo who weaved his way through the Giants defence to touch down between the posts and also add the extras. With the margin between the teams now only 8 points the game now entered a tense period with both sides striving for the next score which could sway the contest their way. The Giants defence continued to impress with Danny Brough’s kicking game again to the fore and as the game entered its final 10 minutes they struck on attack. Jermaine McGillvary went on a weaving run towards the posts in the Hull 20 and fed Ryan Hinchcliffe with an exquisite pass which sent him through the defence to touch down for a quality try. Danny Brough added the extras and then left the field with a knock. There was still time for another Giants try before the hooter; on 76 minutes Ukuma Ta’ai scorched over for a try on the left with Darnell McIntosh adding the extra.THe final score of 26 - 6 appears to denote a comfortable victory but it had been a tough and often tense encounter with the Giants putting on a much improved second half display.Next week end sees the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Final at Wembley between Warrington Wolves and Catalan Dragons so the Giants will not be in action again until Friday 31 August at the John Smith’s Stadium when Wakefield Trinity are the visitors kick off 7.45pm.



Copyright Huddersfield Giants. All Rights reserved. Registered Office: The John Smith's Stadium, Stadium Way, HUDDERSFIELD, HD1 6PG.
Reg No: 1810029 Registered in England. Site managed by